Monday, March 26, 2007

more Medellin





So I realize I've been in Colombia for quite some time now. It was supposed to be 3 weeks, in and out...then on to Argentina, Chile, Equador, Peru, etc...but as always, things change. Depending on how things go with my Visa paperwork, it looks like I may spend a few months here in Colombia. While I have no idea what will happen tomorrow that'll have me feeling different about my choice, for now I'm looking for an apartment, an english teaching job, a spanish course, and a salsa instructor.

Medellin is a city I haven't quite figured out yet. There's definately lots of money here. To quote my fellow traveler Ryno (his blog-->http://www.ninjanomads.blogspot.com), all the women look like Barbie dolls. Plastic surgery is huge. Everyone has braces. The good (but fake) looking women all date these dorky looking rich guys(who love guys that look like barbie dolls). The rave party we went to was a perfect example of this...









On the flipside, there are these neighborhoods (or barrios) outside of Medellin that are incredible. My photographer friend Josh has better photos of them than I, but they are humble neighborhoods, which i'd describe as "acojedora" if speaking in Spanish. Its my understanding that acojedora sigifies something familiar, comfy, friendly, ambient. They're all elevated into the mountains, and have wonderful views of the city. Small communities with no rich snobby people, but warmer, friendly people just doing what they do, carrying on thier lives.


As a traveler, its usually difficult to blend in to places like this but if you meet the right people, its a seamless transition. I happened to get lucky, and through some university students, met a wonderful family who lives in one of these barrios. Dania, her brother Daniel, and their mother are all from the Choco region of the country (where most of the country's African population are from..close to the coast and the Panamaian border). They took me into their home, helped me with my spanish, taught me about the various types of Colombian music, and cooked me up a mean meal as well. Its refreshing to meet people like this, because quite honestly everyone else I've met in Medellin (probably because of the area of the city I'm staying in), have been nice, but distant. Like I'm here..but we're all of different worlds. Friendlines on the surface, but beneath that a deep disconnect. I didn't feel that with this family. A cozy city indeed, Medellin.

subway scenes..


kids on a swing..


Julien's a cool guy. studying audio engineering...specializing in reggae music.


this guys holding a belt, but with my camera (which now works only when it feels like..), it looks like some sort of magic rainbow thingie..






jess esta loco


augustine is one of the most free human beings i've ever met. more stories about this character from the wonderful land of Argentina coming later. We plan to produce an entire album together...


the watchmaker.


this cat is really cool. very friendly. every time we leave or arrive to the hostel, no matter what time of day or night, this cat walks us to (or from) the gate to make sure we get to where we're going safely. I'm really starting to like cats.




my parting shot. make love, not war.


ed.ntiri@gmail.com

3 comments:

tonight at noon said...

"for now I'm looking for an apartment, an english teaching job, a spanish course, and a salsa instructor. "

dope.

really cool that you had the experience with the family. that has always made any trip i've ever been on, something really special. kind of restores my faith in mankind to some degree, as well.

great eye with the photos man. think you need a better camera though.

Medellin Traveler said...

I traveled to Medellin, Colombia for the first time this year in March and fell in love with the city. Upon my return to the states I wasn't not sure if it was that Medellin as so beautiful or that I was just happy to be on vacation. So, what did I do? I booked another flight in June and as you probably know, it is so beautiful that I went back again in September.

My initial expeience traveling to Medellin was not a dream!!

I have since developed a website to promote the positive side of Medellin http://www.medellintraveler.com - I LOVE MEDELLIN!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!