Wednesday, March 7, 2007

jamaica-irie

1-jamaica

In the hills riding a donkey through the rainforest, mingling with folk in the countryside, drinking warm Red Stripe with friendly locals, dipping in and out of sound systems blasting in the streets. Jumped in a fountain of youth yesterday in Ocho Rios. Blue Lagoon today. Reach falls tomorrow. Caves, hills, hammocks. Sun is always shining. Weather is always sweet.



My 2 favorite things to do in Jamaica are cab rides through the mountains, and walks along the beach. I do both daily. The taxi’s are old, beat up, stick shift, windows not working types, and the drivers know these dirt roads like the back of their hands. I don’t even care about running errands usually, its just the ride I need. Kind of like riding a rollercoaster, just a little more dangerous.



And the beaches of Jamaica, one of the reason it’s such a tourist attraction. I try to visit the beach daily. Such a small island, that it finds you whenever you go. The water from the ocean brushes past my feet. The sand smoothes itself out after the water retreats from the shoreline. The pressure from the water shapes the edges of the land. I’m very close to nature out here. My senses are constantly being given brand new life to take in, and things like this naturally change you.



Acting on impulse was my goal this year. It’s something certain friends of mine have showed me. I’m moved by people who live lives of action. No talking, only walking. Always reaching for new possibilities. Making their dreams manifest. Defining and creating their own reality, rather than accepting the life that’s been force fed to them. I hope I don’t sound too radical here, or unappreciative of the opportunity I’ve been given in the US, but I just couldn’t dig the nine to five hustle anymore.



some understand, some don’t. Not my concern at this moment. I’ve got plenty of time to sit in an office when I’m older. The thought of an office cubicle quite honestly just makes me nauseous right now…always has.

So the first few weeks in Jamaica can be summed up in one word - Irie. I haven’t known what time it is since I left New York. It’s irrelevant. I barely know what day it is. Everything is no problem here. I’m perfectly content waking up, touching the sky, eating breakfast, and sitting on the front porch all day watching people and relaxing in the breeze under the sun. It’s like I’m retired, only at 25.

There’s just less rush put on things they don’t feel are important. More emphasis attached to the vital. That generally being peace, love and happiness. Certainly starting to rub off a bit...

Just my interpretation so far. Will be in Colombia 2 weeks from the day I wrote this. Stay tuned homies. I miss New York (with the exception of the weather).

Much love. Keep in touch (ed.ntiri@gmail.com/ed@waxpoetics.com)

7 comments:

zigzagheart said...

couldnt have said it better.keep touching the sky homie.-nikki

donanubia0529@msn.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
donanubia0529@msn.com said...

thank you for sharing this with me. i had no idea you were on this mission. you have something you need to find, some information that you need to understand, and whatever it is transcends all color lines, all political differences, all religious infractions. common said-be. elle says-do. i love you like whoever you were meant to be in my life. you have my support. keep me posted.

donanubia0529@msn.com said...

ironically enough, some things never change, i'm sure we can all agree. i feel like a piece of me is with you because i saw that you have the les miserables shirt with you. the same shirt that i snapped that foto of you in the last time i saw you. i'm glad.

Chava said...

I love reading your blog - it keeps me going. I am living vicariously through your stories and experiences. Gracias! :)

Anonymous said...

Jamaica sounds so lovely - thanks for your thoughts.

tonight at noon said...

"The pressure from the water shapes the edges of the land. I’m very close to nature out here. My senses are constantly being given brand new life to take in, and things like this naturally change you."

"I’m moved by people who live lives of action. No talking, only walking."


bg