Tuesday, March 27, 2007

disfrutes la musica

i finally found a market with records. LOTS of them. Complete luck, just strolling around some streets and ran into a centro commercial called Puentos. Struck up some good conversations here, bought a jacket for about $1 dollar, plus 30 or so records for about $8 bucks. pictures....




this collector is Jaime Juicenos, a music lover who was more than willing to speak for a while about the various types of Colombian music. If you're ever in Colombia and need records, get in touch with me and I'll lead you directly to these two. They have an incredible library.




and this is the other guy I met in this market who had gems. Albeiyo Moutoya, real humble guy..sits down here all day and listens to music. For collectors...a must visit. When it comes to Colombian music, he's got everything...literally. He also used to play piano, but thats all i could pry out of his musical past. He was more concerned with showing me his favorite pieces of vinyl. Good fellow.






learning spanish has been a slow process. I've made it to the point where I can communicate on a basic level but thats not nearly enough. I still cannot communicate ideas, feelings, or basically say anything deeper than "Yes, No, Maybe, I like it/ I kind of like it/ etc etc." Real difficult, but I'm grateful for the people along the way who've been kind enough to write down words for me, or help me with my pronounciation. I know there were plenty of times where foreigners in New York may have asked me for something...and I looked at them like they were crazy. tables turned...and I appear crazy to someone every day. Takes getting used to, but poco a poco, I'm learning. Thanks to all who have helped. With each new conversation, I'm slowly learning not only a new language, but the voice of a people.













Interning at WaxPoetics Magazine, a magazine specializing in rare funk, soul, jazz, and hip hop music doesn' hurt. My taste for rare music in all the countries of the world has only increased. And Colombia's music history is rich. New issue has James Brown on the cover. Pick it up if you can. I wish i could find an issue out here. waxpoetics.com. best magazine in the world (in terms of content and style).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a happy man!!! i know!! with all those records! jujua!

tonight at noon said...

love the photos e. definitely going to get to colombia after im finished in south korea. excited to check out the rest of these posts, too. very cool. peace.